Friday, August 19, 2011

Pilates Power

I almost didn't make it out of bed this morning. I woke up and went to swing my legs out of the bed and - HELLO - sore calves, quads, and hip flexors! I have not felt this sore in a long time. It has probably been since I started back into a fitness routine after Phinn was born that I have woken up feeling this sore.

And it feels GREAT!

I'm sure that sounds crazy, but sometimes the pain reminds me that I am whipping this body into tip top shape - no easy way out here!

At the beginning of August, I started taking more Pilates classes; both mat classes in a group setting, and private/duet/trio lessons using the various types of apparatus. For those of you that are unfamiliar with Pilates, it is "a body conditioning routine that helps to not only build flexibility, but also strength, endurance, and coordination in the legs, abdominals, arms and back." (Thank you, Wikipedia!)

Now, what is the difference between mat Pilates classes and private lessons with the apparatus, you ask?

In the simplest break down, mat Pilates is done on a mat, only using your body and gravity to complete the exercises. Private Pilates lessons (often studios will do duets or trios which can save you some $$!) use various pieces of apparatus to provide additional resistance, and each apparatus has its own series of exercises.

Mat style Pilates class. Make sure to arrive early to get a good spot for your mat :)

The Reformer - In my opinion, slightly resembles a Medieval stretching rack, and can,
at times, feel like that (depending on the exercise), but totally worth it!


The Barrel - Great for abs! Ab work is pretty much the only exercise I have done on this so far.

The Pedi Pole - Ah, yes! I was introduced to this apparatus last week. What a core
work out!!
Not a bad one for your arms either!

Both styles have been providing me with great workouts for my legs, hips, glutes, core (in Pilates it's referred to as your "powerhouse."), and arms. It has also been a great way to stretch and strengthen muscles between runs.

I highly recommend trying Pilates. It's a great cross-training method for runners. It's also great for those looking for a lower impact exercise.

Don't be fooled by what you see or think you know, because as long as you have a good instructor, you will sweat and you will be feeling it the next day (or two)! So make sure you have a spouse, roommate, or friend who can push you out of bed the next morning!!

Also, a vie balance first! Be on the look out for my very first guest post from my friend and USPA Pilates apprentice, Alia Staples. She will be able to speak more to the benefits of Pilates, why she fell in love with it, and how to select a good studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment