Monday, August 2, 2010

August: Kicking It Up a Notch


Well I survived my GTT- barely though. It took 12 sticks to get four blood draws! I had to get my blood drawn once before I drank the super delicious sugar-loaded "cola" (Have no idea why the call it a cola- doesn't taste like one!) and then once an hour for the next three hours. My arms look like those of a drug addict and by the fourth draw, my poor veins didn't want to give up any more blood. I should have my test results in the next couple days.

During my first blood draw and the only one that took one stick, I started chatting with the nurse about gestational diabetes. She has three children and said that she had to do the GTT with one of hers, but it came back negative. If I do have gestational diabetes, she said that I would be given a "diet" and have to keep a food journal to bring in to my appointments. She said that the food journal really helps out those who have gestational diabetes, especially those who are overweight- a lot of them end up losing weight.

The idea of a food journal got me thinking about my nutrition goals for August. I mentioned in my last post that I feel the need (and some guilt) to eat healthier. What better way to keep what I eat in perspective than to write it down and at the end of the day have to look at it! Now I don't want to suck all the fun out of eating but maybe this will push me to be more creative in how I prepare my meals and learn how to truly savor dessert. Side Note: I was reading a celebrity interview in a magazine when I was at the gym and she was talking about how she rarely eats dessert and when she does she makes sure it is something REALLY delectable, so that the indulgence is worth it. I kind of like that idea- how much better would a sweet treat taste if you had them on a less regular basis! GOAL: So for August I am going to keep a food journal and hopefully if this goes well, it may become a tool I can use for awhile at least until the nutrition standards I have set for myself and my family (sorry Hunter!) become habit.

I also mentioned creating an exercise goal for August. I did meet my July goal of working out for 45 minutes (actually made it to 47!) and promptly celebrated with a much needed mani-pedi. As I was evaluating my July goal, I realized that I was focusing on the wrong part. Instead of time, I need to focus on frequency, so I revised my goal for August accordingly. GOAL: I will make it to the gym four days a week and exercise for a minimum of 35 minutes each time. Four days will be especially important as my pilates class is ending in two weeks and won't start up again until the middle of September. This will definitely help me stay active and hopefully limber as I am now in the third trimester.

Also just wanted to say thanks to my family and friends for being so supportive and positive! It definitely makes you feel less like you are the only person that this happens to and that is priceless. And this doesn't just apply to me, it applies to all of us. Know that whatever your challenge may be that you aren't alone. Don't be afraid to open up, make yourself a little vulnerable, and ask for advice. You will be amazed at who has walked in your shoes.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that sweets would taste "sweeter" if I limited myself a little more! Glad that you survived the test!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I ran across this today kind of randomly and thought it may be of interest!: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-59803-Atlanta-Pregnancy-Fitness-Examiner~y2010m8d3-Safety-precautions-for-pregnancy-exercise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, erni! I had no idea... you'll have to let us know how things turn out. Hang in there - the tests are no fun! Remind me to tell you sometime about the ridiculous test I had to take at the end of my pregnancy with Jake. I'm so impressed with how disciplined you're being - way to go!

    ReplyDelete