Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again


Well today was DAY ONE of resurrecting my gym routine. I didn't feel like quite the superhero that I did when I used to be walking in for one of my two hour runs, nevertheless half the battle was already won- I had made it through the gym doors. I don't know about you but even though I would call myself a fitness nut and confess what many may think is a sick love of running, I can still struggle with that first step- GETTING TO THE GYM. Isn't that what they say is the hardest part of any journey? Anyway- so I at least earned myself one gold star for getting my pregnant butt to stop eating popsicles and looking at baby clothes long enough to squeeze into some pre-prego gym wear, lace up my shoes, and step into the gym.

Just to clarify, since I have been pregnant I have not been sitting around eating "bon-bons." I have been adamant about taking walks and also am in a once a week prenatal pilates class; however I haven't been to the gym and worked up a REALLY good sweat since late March. And I have missed that (which half of you probably think makes me crazy and the other half get it)!
First Prenatal Pilates Class (Definitely recommend this to any other expectant mommies out there who want to get some stretching in- it feels great!!)

Back to DAY ONE- I managed to get in a whopping 35 minute work incorporating the elliptical (25 minutes), stairmaster (5 minutes), and treadmill with incline (5 minutes). While I was not physically exhausted, I did begin to feel the moan and groan of my muscles that have been taking a beating. It was a start though and that is all I could ask myself and Baby Smith for.

GOAL- To gradually increase my workout time to 45 minutes by the end of July. Pre-prego me would have said "no sweat" but I think this could be a significant challenge as I feel like I grow overnight and wake up with a different type of muscle pain and not to mention this summer just seems to keep on getting hotter. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Wahoo! Congrats on the first gym workout sista! I bet little Ethan enjoyed every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete