Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summertime Favorites

Summer is in full swing and if you live in Virginia you have been seeing record breaking temperatures for what feels like eternity. I got into my car after work and my temperature gauge read 110- I have never seen it get that high and I was parked in the shade!! So in honor of such a sweltering summer, I thought I'd share some of my cool - yet nutritious- staples.
Fresh fruit is one of my favorite parts of summer!

First the simple ones-

Edy's Whole Fruit Popsicles: I do not think that I could survive summer without these! They have real chunks of fruit in them and are only 80 calories. If you haven't tried them I'd highly recommend them only be warned that once you have these all other popsicles will cease to measure up! Strawberry is by far my favorite and I also enjoy the Lemonade, Lime, and for a creamy treat they have orange with cream (think dreamsicle). Their only downside is price- for around $3 for a box of six, you may find yourself spending more money on popsicles than you anticipated. Every now and then you can find them on sale for 2 for $5 and in that case I recommend stocking up because they go fast!

Greek Yogurt with Blueberries and Strawberries: First of all I am convinced that Greek yogurt is a SUPER food. It is low in fat, calories, and carbs and high in protein. For a lot of my recipes that call for sour cream I substitute plain Greek yogurt. I use it in everything from muffins to chicken salad to guacamole. Vanilla Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and strawberries makes a great breakfast, lunch or even dessert! I buy the individual servings because they are easy to take to work and they have only 110 calories, 0 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbs, and 15 grams of protein (which will fill you up and keep you full). One thing I will warn you about especially if you are a Greek yogurt newbie, it is a bit of an acquired taste. I would not recommend trying it by itself. Adding fresh fruit is great way to ease into it.

Next for some real recipes-

Orzo Mediterranean Salad: I got this AWESOME recipe from Lauren -my sister-in-law- last summer. (SIDENOTE: She also has a blog and right now has some great summer recipes on it. Check it out.) I love how easy it is to make (the chopping is a little time consuming) and it makes a great side or main course. I made this for our BBQ this weekend and was able to send all of our guests home with leftovers and promised them the recipe.

1 cup uncooked orzo (8 oz)
3 cups chopped baby spinach
1/2 cup chopped, drained oil packed sun dried tomatoes
3 tbsp chopped red onion
3 tbsp chopped kalamata olives
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts (6 oz)
3/4 cup feta cheese

1) Cook orzo omitting fat and salt. Drain and rinse with cold water.

2) Combine orzo, spinach, and next five ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl

3) Drain artichokes, reserving marinade. Coarsely chop and add artichokes, marinade, and feta to mixture.

4) Toss gently to coat.

Curried Chicken Salad with Nectarines: I got the recipe from my mom who I believe saw it in Cooking Light. Again this is something that is simple to make and makes plenty of leftovers. If I am running short on time or looking to make a larger serving, I buy a rotisserie chicken remove the skin and use that otherwise I just grill a couple chicken breasts and shred those. You can also substitute mango or peaches for nectarines- all very tasty!

3 cups shredded cooked chicken (1 lb)
2 cups cubed nectarines (or mangoes or peaches whatever your preference!)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup reduced fat mayo
2 tbsp fat free buttermilk/yogurt (This is where I add my Plain Greek Yogurt)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
Toasted Almonds (Optional and as much or few as you like)

1) Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl

2) Combine mayo and next five ingredients in a small bowl

3) Drizzle mayo mixture over chicken mixture and toss gently.

4) Sprinkle with almonds.


Give some of these cool summer ideas a try- you are bound to find at least one you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment