Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Road Routine


Hotel room key? Check. Toothbrush and toothpaste? Check. Suitcase with all of your clothes? Check. Couple extra pounds? No thank you! Whether you are traveling for work or pleasure, it is easy to leave your healthy eating habits and workout clothes at home. Giving into coffee and doughnuts or that burger and fries always seems more justifiable when you are out of your normal routine. While it is always nice to give into your vices occasionally, you have to think moderation.

I don't know about you, but whenever I have a poor eating habits day by bedtime I am feeling sick to my stomach- sometimes literally from my terrible choices in food and other times I think it is from the guilt I feel from consuming it. For the next couple days, I am away from home for a work conference and I have promised myself to keep my eating and exercise habits on track. Not such an easy thing to do when you are surrounded by people eating doughnuts in the morning, dessert with lunch, and cookies and candy in the afternoon; however, I have done my best to prepare myself to resist the temptation.

Here are some tips that I have for those of you who are traveling and want to keep your good habits on track:
  • Pack as much of your own food as possible- I brought along fresh peaches, all natural (no sugar added) applesauce, and some Kashi GoLean bars. This helps me keep my snacking healthy and to not feel like I have to starve while the people around me reach for junk food. If I am going on an extended vacation, I try to pack breakfast and lunch as well so at least I can guarantee that I'll have two healthy meals.
  • Pack your gym gear- It is my philosophy that if you have it, you are more likely to use it. Take this easy step and save some space in your suitcase for your usual gym gear.
  • Plan time for exercising- Whether you want to go to the gym or keep it simple is up to you, but try to establish a mini routine for yourself. When Hunter and I were on vacation in Florida, we would start every morning off with a long walk. It got our day off to a great start and also enabled me to check exercising off my list. At my work conference, I am taking time in the evenings to get in a little thirty minute walk and some time on the stairmaster.
  • Say yes to some indulgences- You do not always have to say no to all the fun stuff. (YES! I treated myself to some fro-yo after dinner!!) It is okay to have dessert or french fries with your burger. You don't want to deprive yourself or make yourself feel miserable, so say yes to those occasional treats- just remember moderation is key!
Hopefully these suggestions will help you keep your good habits in check the next time you are away from home. Please share any tips that you have for battling road bulge --- the more tips we are armed with the easier it will be to stay on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment