Tuesday, September 6, 2011

New Approach to Breakfast

Muffins, breads, bagels, waffles, toast, cereal, pastries, oatmeal ... I am a carbaholic. I love having brinner (which I never get to do often enough because my husband is not such a big fan of breakfast). I love it all. I love breakfast!

As I started reflecting on my eating habits and why I almost constantly
feel hungry, I realized that I am not starting my day with the breakfast of champions. My selections tend to provide short term satisfaction, leaving me hungry an hour or two later.

So today, I gave my breakfast a makeover.

Phinn was very intrigued with my proposal to change the way we eat breakfast. He is also a breakfast lover!

I made some Steel Cut Oatmeal (based on Peas and Thank You's Creamy Protein Porridge).

Steel Cut Oatmeal is a good source of dietary fiber. It is low in calories, fat, and sugar. It also provides a decent kick of protein (4 grams/serving).

First you have to process the steel oats into a fine powder using either a blender or food processor. I even made some extra so I would not have to pull out the blender each morning.

For my add-ins, I chose some vegan vanilla protein powder (2 tsp), a pinch or two of nutmeg and cinnamon (I figured out that I am not a huge fan of nutmeg. It seemed pretty overpowering in the oatmeal. Maybe add less?), 1/2 tsp of organic cane sugar, and some of Trader Joe's Mixed Dried Berries. As you can see in the picture, I was originally going to add some almond butter, however, I did not want to go overboard on the protein.

My add ins - however- I opted for dried berries instead of almond butter at the last minute.

Overall, it was pretty tasty. I'm not going to lie and say it was the most delicious breakfast ever. Sure the stuff that is terrible for you and leaves you wanting more tastes much better, but you need to realize that like the cool, cute football quarterback you had a crush on in high school that finally says "hi" to you, you are just getting a few minutes of satisfaction that ultimately won't fulfill you.

Yummy! Creamy porridge - now that is the breakfast of champions!

So I'm redoing my approach to breakfast, refining my pallet, and choosing options that have more to offer that some sugar on top.

2 comments:

  1. Make it with almond butter and tell me how it turns out! I love almond butter! Did you use water to cook it? I wonder if you used vanilla soy or almond milk (sans the butter for that recipe)- if it might be a little more on the creamy tasty side. Thanks for the idea- I also need to do something about my breakfast! I often grab a granola bar or something. PS- I need to introduce you to my favorite vegan cookbook author: Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Everything she does is awesome. If I could just start exercising- I may be as healthy as you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used 1/2 cup organic milk (but am going to try almond milk next week)and 1 cup water. It is definitely creamer than regular oatmeal which is a nice change.
    Today I made it for Hunter and added cinnamon, vegan protein powder, and natural peanut butter. He enjoyed it and said he would eat it again - that's success in my book! I'm trying it with almond butter tomorrow and I'll let you know how it turns out. I think it is safe to assume it will be pretty yummy!!
    Googling Colleen Patrick-Goudreau now... I love new cooks and recipes :)

    ReplyDelete