Friday, September 16, 2011

Spreading the Love Around

So what's this runner doing this weekend? Running piles of miles? Nope! I will be Erin, Running Coach in Training.


This weekend I am off to Road Runners Club of America's Coaching Certification Course in Harrisburg, PA. Other than the slight anxiety I get when I leave Phinn for the weekend, I am pretty pumped about my training - and as an added bonus, a weekend away with my hubby. I think Phinn is pretty excited for a weekend at his grandparents too.

Packed my running book to brush up on my runner's vocabulary before class on Saturday and packed my new book that I heard of from a new blog I started following - Inchmark. As you can see I'm clearly in denial about how much free time I'll have!

So while my fellow runners will be out there pounding the pavement this weekend, I will be in the classroom learning how I can hook others on paying me to do something I love the art of racing. I am a firm believer that once you cross the finish line of your first race, you are done for! The slight rush from competition; the exhilaration of completing something you have worked hard for; and the awareness that you've gained of knowing what your body can do, makes you want to do it over and over again.

For years, I have been trying to get my friends and family into running. My mom, a former runner, jumped on board pretty easily. The rest though, have taken some convincing (that I am not absolutely crazy for enjoying running). I am excited to say that the majority of my friends have crossed over to the dark side. So many of them have, in fact, that we are even looking into doing a marathon relay as the focus of a girls getaway.

In June, I decided that sharing this love of mine with just family and friends was no longer enough. I want to share it with everyone and anyone, and that is when I decided to sign up for RRCA's course.

This weekend I am going to learn about the fundamentals of coaching, rules of training, physiology, psychology, injury prevention, nutrition, and techniques of training. It looks like my brain will be swirling with new information come 5 PM on Sunday!

When I return home with all this new knowledge, I will be studying for RRCA's exam and also completing my CPR certification.

Once those are completed, I will be Erin Smith RCCA Certified Running Coach. Then I will be spreading the running love around, so get your running shoes ready!


No comments:

Post a Comment