Thursday, December 2, 2010

Orange Ya Ready for New Recipes?!

"Orange Ya" jokes... terrible I know, but you don't know how challenging it can be to come up with a catchy title for each post. I will blame this on my lack of sleep (which actually is a lie because *knock on wood* Phinn is sleeping really well!). So in my last post, I promised a few recipes. Well here they are! Give them a try- you will not be disappointed!

Cranberry Orange Bread


I recall the first time I made this, I actually passed on eating it because I didn't think I'd like the taste combination. I was so wrong! The cranberries and orange pair perfectly for a flavorful explosion in your mouth. I promise that you will not be able to have just one piece. Trust me! I think I ate it for every meal the other day.

Preheat oven to 350


Ingredients:
1 cup fresh cranberries
2 cups all purpose flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour.)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 large egg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine beaten egg with orange juice and vanilla.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour with sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Cut the butter into small pieces and mix with flour mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ones. Add cranberries. (I chop the cranberries in half so there are more to go around.) Pour into a loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.

Try not to eat in one day :)


Green Beans with Orange Essence and Maple Pecans (Cook's Illustrated Nov. 2003)

My mom made this side dish for Thanksgiving this year and I'm pretty sure that there weren't any leftover. My brother whose plate usually consists of ham, mashed potatoes, and a roll even grabbed himself some (after of course learning that it wasn't asparagus) and actually enjoyed them. If that doesn't speak volumes as to how good these are, I don't know what will!

Ingredients:

3/4 cup pecans, chopped coarse
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Table salt
2 medium shallots, minced
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
pinch cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
1.5 pounds green beans, stem ends trimmed
2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage leaves
Ground black pepper

Directions:

Toast pecans in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in 1-tablespoon butter, maple syrup, and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Return skillet to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until nuts are dry and glossy, about 45 seconds; transfer to plate and set aside.

Wipe out skillet. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat; when foaming subsides, add shallots, orange zest, and cayenne and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour until combined, then toss in green beans. Add chicken broth, orange juice, and sage; increase heat to medium-high, cover, and cook until beans are partly tender but still crisp at center, about 4 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender and sauce has thickened slightly, about 4 minutes. Off heat, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle evenly with pecans, and serve.

Orange ya glad you have some new recipes ;) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment