Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Weeks Five and Six Check In: Short on Time But High in Victories

Yes, I am combining last week's and this week's updates and I blame it on the holidays! My house has looked like Santa's workshop for over a week. Between Christmas presents waiting to be wrapped, crafty projects (that I have realized I will not have time for) strewn about, and Phinn's gear (from where I'm sitting I can see his activity mat, a handful of toys, blankets, a bear suit, and a half dozen books) that I've realized makes no sense to clean up unless I'm having company- I'm not surprised that I constantly feel exhausted after combating this mess. So to save myself some time, I'm doing one post for weeks five and six.

When I'm not playing Mrs. Claus, Martha Stewart, or Mama, I have been able to squeeze in some workouts. I have been trying to be kinder to my knees so I'm back on the elliptical and the stairmaster which has made a huge difference. I no longer feel like my knees are going to give out from under me. I'm also working on strengthening my legs by doing some leg squats, presses, and other weight resistance exercises. I'm planning to try running again this week. If I start to feel knee pain, I'll change it up to a walk-run. I have also been using my balance ball and have become a pro at doing quick 10-15 minute workouts for my arms, abs, and legs. These mini workouts have held me over on days that I haven't been able to make it to the gym.

Also I realized that I talk about the importance of exercise and nutrition but most of my posts only discuss exercise. I tend to eat the same things every day because it is simple and an easy way to stay on track. I get my variety at dinner and on the weekends. (Oh! The weekends can really throw off my good week if I'm not careful!!)

So here is a quick run down of my typical eating habits:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with blueberries (or dried fruit and nuts) and a touch of brown sugar

Morning Snack: Fruit (Apple slices, applesauce, or clementine)

Lunch: Salad with fruit (dried cranberries, fresh pears, and/or mandarin oranges), nuts (almonds or walnuts), and occasionally tuna OR soup (My latest favorite is Butternut Squash Soup - never thought I'd say that!). Usually I'll pair this with a piece of whole grain toast (or during the holidays half of a Wolferman's Multigrain English Muffin- yum!!) And if I've been really good, I'll have a piece of dark chocolate or a few dark chocolate almonds for dessert.

Afternoon Snack:
Fruit & Nut Trail Mix Bar or if I'm heading to the gym a Peanut Crunch Cliff Bar

Some typical Smith family dinners (at least lately) are Veggie Burgers and Roasted Broccoli, Turkey and Spinach Meatloaf, Beef Stew, Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, Grilled Chicken and Roasted Spicy Sweet Potatoes, and when we are feeling fancy Salmon with a Mushroom Risotto. We have been "picking up" dinner about once a week since Phinn's arrival. (Even for two people who enjoy cooking sometimes it is the last thing we want to do or have the energy to do.)

Last but not least this Mama has had a couple wins over the past week or so. First I am down to 120 pounds! Only five more to go!! While my body still has a ways to go in terms of muscle tone, losing the weight is half the battle. Next I tried on my loosest pair of pre-pregnancy jeans and was able to button them!! They aren't comfortable enough to wear just yet but maybe in a few more weeks and with some more time at the gym. Finally my BIGGEST win, Phinn slept through the night for the first time last Friday. (Of course I didn't because I kept waking up anticipating that he would wake up and when he didn't I was checking to make sure he was still breathing!)

All in all weeks five and six have been pretty productive. I'm beginning to feel more and more confident and comfortable with myself and I'm adjusting to the new "normal." (I'll talk about the new normal more later. It has been a revelation for Hunter and I!)

No comments:

Post a Comment