Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top of the Morning to You!


Good morning and HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!

I'm a McCutie!! Isn't that the truth!?!

Last Saturday, I ran the Four Courts Four Miler with my mom, sister, and brother in Arlington, VA. This was my first race since Phinn was born and my goal was to simply have FUN which isn't hard to do when you wrangle my family together for a run with green wigs and boas and free beer at the end!

The race is part of the Pacers Race Series - Pacers is a running store in the DC area. The course for Four Courts is fairly challenging with the last mile being made up by a fairly big hill. I did not wear my watch or heart monitor for this one because I just wanted to enjoy it (OK- maybe I forgot to pack them too!). And that's just what I was doing until I started uphill at the end. Even though I had been practicing hills by running some with Phinn in the BOB and running on the treadmill with varying inclines, it did not seem to adequately prepare me for this one. I wanted to walk and so I did. I reached the one and only water stop and then walked for a block or two. My muscles were saying, "I think we've had enough!" but my brain and mostly my competitive nature got the better of me and I started running again.

Every leg muscle was begging me to take it easy and walk, but I wouldn't give in. I did decrease my speed a bit and put on some good tempo songs to keep me moving and to stop me from potentially using my last bit of energy before I crossed the finish line. But I mentally need more motivation to keep going, and that is when I thought about my son. When my runs or workouts get tough, I find a lot of my inspiration in thinking of Phinn and my future children. I want to be healthy and strong for them. I want to live a long life and see them grow up and have children of their own. I want to set an example for them. I want them to know that eating healthy and exercising are a big part of our family. And last Saturday, that is what propelled me across the finish line to set a PR of 34:58 which is around 8:45/mile pace!!

"Run faster Mom!! Don't give up!!" said my running coach

All of the family runners did amazingly well especially considering the last mile is uphill. My brother finished first at 32:47 , followed by me at 34:58, then my mom at 37:04, and my sister at 38:43. All of us well below a 10:00/mile pace! We certainly owe some of our success to our cheering squad - my dad, Hunter, and Phinn. Thanks for standing out in the cold and cheering us on!!


Family runners (and future runner) at the 2nd Annual Four Courts Four Miler

Runners and our cheering squad. Would have been an even better picture if our photo guy had gotten Phinn in it!

We all promptly celebrated with free beer!!!

With my first race under my belt and a new PR, I am feeling more confident in my running (Working hard and not giving up pays off!!!) and am eagerly looking forward to my next race on April 2nd.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the race! I was totally lacking in motivation to push myself, so I ran the race with a client and pushed her instead. ;o)

    Thank you for the lovely email you sent me. I've been meaning to respond for a while, but time seems to always run away from me...

    ReplyDelete