Thursday, September 2, 2010

Back to School (Well Learning & Working)

Beginning of a new month which means the beginning of new goals for me or in some cases the continuation of old goals because as my husband so often says "if its not broke, don't fix it!"

September is a great month for transition and starting something new. As kids, we all were used to September meaning the start of school. For those of us who have not been out of the academic world for too long, I think we miss that fresh start and the symbolizing of a new beginning that came with buying new pencils and notebooks.

As I said in my last post, my August workout goal was a perfect fit for me. It kept me on track and got me back in the habit of making a regular appearance at the gym. Returning to the gym has been wonderful- this is one place where I don't mind people staring at my pregnant belly. It gives me a sense of pride. "Yes, I am 33 weeks pregnant and still managing to work up a sweat on the elliptical." I own it! So for the month of September, I am going to work on maintenance which is an important aspect of any workout regime. When you find something that works for you, keeps you motivated, and keeps you sweating, don't let it go.


I would still like to make some progress in the food department. Often I find myself in a recipe rut and feel like I get too comfortable with what I make in the kitchen. I want to branch out and try some new things. I especially want to test run some recipes that can last for multiple dinners- you know the casseroles, soups, stews, baked pastas- because I think that will be key once Baby Smith arrives. So I am in search for new recipes... I have reached out to some new blogs- Dinner: A Love Story and Peas & Thank You (besides their recipes they are both GREAT reads as well!). I am also reaching out to you my readers if you have any good recipes- please send them my way! I'll test them out and post them here to share with everyone else.

Last, but certainly not least, another important aspect of my life that I want to set goals for this month is my relationship with my husband. Our world is soon going to turn upside down in the most wonderful way with the addition of Baby Smith. I want to savor our last moments as just the two of us. I want to share as many dinners together (without the multitasking), late night conversations (well as late as someone who is up at 4AM every day can), dates to restaurants or the movies, and well just general hand-holding and canoodling (yes I'm that CHEESY!). Now to be even CHEESIER- My husband is my best friend and greatest partner in life. I want to make sure that as our family grows we still take time to focus on each other and continue to develop our relationship.

So it is September- kids are back in school, the pool is closed, the hours of daylight are decreasing, and the temperatures are dipping (FINALLY!) which means the end of summer. For some this might bring a tear to the eye, but I think fall provides an opportunity to learn and start new goals. Our schedules become less hectic and more routine opening up some more time for new activities. I think we can all benefit from adapting a "back to school" mentality by exploring new challenges, meeting new friends, learning more about ourselves and our passions.

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend the movie dates! We went on our very last one about 2 weeks before Hannah was born and it was so surreal thinking this is the last time it will be just the two of us! Enjoy those last few moments before parenthood arrives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are trying to soak up all the couple time we can get! I am so excited for it to be three of us, but it is hard to imagine it not just being the two of us at the same time.

    ReplyDelete