Thursday, September 2, 2010

August Recap and Great Finds

It is hard to believe it is already September. Where does the time go?! I don't know about you, but after this incredibly HOT summer, I am looking forward to the cool, crisp days of fall filled with apple picking, pumpkin spice lattes, college football (Go Hokies!) and of course my favorite- BOOTS!! Not to mention, Baby Smith should be making his debut in less than two months!!

Since we are on to a new month, I wanted to provide you all with an update on my August Goals and also share with you some awesome "things" that I discovered throughout the month. I used "things" because I am going to share everything from other excellent blogs I discovered to websites I couldn't imagine living without and much more.

First, my August goals seemed to really work for me. I did a good job finding the balance between something obtainable and something challenging. I made it to the gym 3-4 times every week and was able to keep myself at a good, slightly sweaty (more than glisten) pace for at least 40 minutes each time. And let me tell you, this felt GREAT! I found that resuming a regular gym routine improved my mood, increased my energy level (which is hard to do especially in this last trimester), and gave me more confidence about how I look. Also another added perk is that my midwife also keeps reminding me that my gym habits will pay off when it is time for labor and delivery- boy do I hope so!! As for my food journal my success on that was more mediocre. I will admit that I was not very good about incorporating that into my routine, but I did think about it a lot which I think had nearly the same effect. Because I was constantly thinking about what I was putting in my body, I was able to reach for the fruit over the reduced fat Cheez-Its (another one of Baby Smith's favorites!)- at least most times. You have to indulge every now and then, right?! So all in all August was a very productive month for me and my goals :)

Now on to the fun stuff! Throughout the month I have made some awesome discoveries and I'm so tickled pink with them that I felt compelled to share them with you.

New Magazines
Whole Living: This is a Martha Stewart magazine (love her!) that I found at the gym when I had already read the celebrity gossip options they had on the stand. I enjoyed this magazine for many reasons. First like all other Martha Stewart magazines, I found the layout and design to be crisp and clean which is visually attractive to me. More importantly though, I enjoyed the content and liked how it covered the whole gamut from wellness to fitness to living green. It was almost like three magazines wrapped into one! I have added a subscription to this to my birthday/Christmas list!!

Kiwi: Their tag line is "growing families the natural and organic way." It covers from pregnancy through childhood. I found this magazine in my doctor's office shortly after we found out we were expecting and Hunter surprise me with a gift subscription. It has healthy food recommendations, recipes, and ideas to creatively incorporate health and wellness in to your family's daily routine. It is published every two months, so only six issues a year, but their website offers it at $12 for a year and that's not too bad if you ask me.

New Website

Dinner: A Love Story: This is a fabulous new blog that I love to read. It is devoted (mostly) to helping parents figure out how to get family dinner on the table. She really believes in the importance of making dinner a family affair which is something that is a MUST for me. It is also relatable- which I find to be an important quality in a blog- because they are a working family that feels the crunch for time in the evenings. Plus there is a wealth of new recipes! I don't know about you but I am constantly finding myself in a dinner rut and need something to rejuvenate my love for cooking. Check it out here.

Coupons and Deals
Baby Steals: This is a deal of the day website. All of their deals are geared towards babies/toddlers and moms. I have gotten some baby toys and sleep sacks off of here at great prices. They offer brands such as Halo, Bumble Bags, Hooter Hider, HABA toys, Aden + Anais, and much more. For moms and moms-to-be, I recommend signing up for their daily email. Just make sure you don't try to talk yourself into every deal just because it is a deal :)

Borders Rewards:
I am usually anti-rewards cards unless it is some place that I frequent often (grocery store) or some place that when I do go the rewards really pay off (Sephora and Ulta). My best friend kept talking up her Borders Rewards card so one day when I was in there buying books for Baby Smith and the cashier gave her usually spiel about the card, I decided to go for it. And it is every bit as AWESOME as my friend talked it up to be. I get a coupon each week for at least 33% off any book. I have been able to get some great books on baby stuff and order Christmas presents (Yes, I have started shopping already but only when something jumps out at me!). So if you are a book fanatic or if you think you'll find yourself buying books in the near future, I highly recommend it! Plus one other perk, you can use it online and have it shipped to the nearest store for free- talk about savings!!

Gilt Group: Another recommendation from my best friend (This girl knows what she's talking about!!) that is great for those with finer taste and smaller pocketbooks. It offers designer and high end fashion for women, men, and children, home decor, and even travel packages for a reduced rate. I believe it is a sample sale sort of thing because they have limited quantities and again like Baby Steals, they have daily emails with their new offerings. I snagged a home run Christmas gift for my niece on here and a gift for Hunter and Baby Smith as well as a workout DVD that is aimed at post-pregnancy recovery. Just be careful of the shipping and handling fee. Often I find a great deal for under $20 and the shipping is about half as much so I'll pass on the deal because to me that is just not with it.

Cool Things

Wellness Journal by Moleskine: I thought Moleskine only had journals and address books, but I read an article recently that talked about their Wellness Journal and naturally I had to check it out. This would be perfect for a food journal and it also helps you record your vitamins and supplements, doctor's visits, track your workouts, and much more. Also added to my Christmas list :)

Maternity Yoga Pants: I honestly don't know how I survived the majority of pregnancy without these. Prior to getting a pair I would just slip on my old pants because they still fit but were a little awkward when they had to interact with my baby bump. They would rollover or would sag so I was always having to adjust them. Well now that I have discovered maternity yoga pants, I am in heaven. They fit wonderfully and I am not constantly tugging on them. They have been perfect for the gym and Saturday mornings. If they were work appropriate, I think you would have a hard time getting me out of them!! You can find them for a decent price at Old Navy or Gap. Also while I am mentioning Gap Maternity- their maternity t-shirts are the BEST another staple that I don't think I could go without!

When you get a chance, check out some of these recommendations. If you need more information, don't hesitate to send me a message. Hopefully you'll find something that tickles your fancy!

4 comments:

  1. I think I may be newly addicted to Babysteals. I checked out today's deal (footless leggings) and they were totally cute! I saw them too late in the day to get the ones I really liked but I did sign up for their daily email. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These suggestions are great! I'm going to check out Whole Living.

    A few other blog suggestions for you. They are all written by moms who are hilarious, down to earth, and have great insights on being healthy and raising a healthy family. If you already know of or follow these, just dismiss!

    www.mizfitonline.com
    www.faithfitnessfun.com
    http://peasandthankyou.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nicole- those leggings come up pretty frequently on Baby Steals so you have a good chance of catching them again. Glad you like the website!

    @Ashley- Cool! Let me know what you think. Thanks for the other blog recommendations. I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl when it comes to shopping, you know i'd never steer you wrong! ;-)

    ReplyDelete