Monday, September 27, 2010

September Finds

How many of the purchases that we make or the websites that we visit or activities we participate in are because someone recommended them to us? It is said that people only talk about negative experiences and good ones just tend to be forgotten- because that is what we expect right? We expect that the things we invest our time and energy (read: money) into are good- worth the expenditure. Well I have decided to put some positive feedback out there for the investments that I feel have been worthwhile. I'll try to make this a monthly thing because hey who doesn't like a good recommendation especially when some of them will help you save some of that time and energy- oh and money too!

Websites:

Zulily:
This is another great shopping recommendation from my best friend (She is going to know all the deals and steals when she is a mommy!). Zulily offers daily discounts (much like Guilt Groupe) on gear, clothing, and toys for children and bonus- they have stuff for moms too! Again like Guilt Groupe, beware of the shipping and handling fee (about $8 regardless of what you buy), so make sure you are purchasing enough to make it worth it. I have not bought anything yet, but have come incredibly close (well as close as you can without pushing the submit order button) but ultimately my ordered didn't seem justified with the shipping costs, and I'm holding out on buying Baby Smith any more clothes until he arrives and I have a better gauge of his needs and not so much my wants. (Yes, baby Ralph Lauren is tres cute, but does he really need it. Ugh! The word need gets me every time- well just about.)

Amazon Universal Wish List: This is PERFECT since gift giving season is just around the corner. Amazon has this little application that you can download and it shows up on your web browser and you can add ANYTHING from ANY SITE (Nordstroms, Sephora, Anthropologie, you name it- you can add it!) to your wish list. Could making your Birthday/Christmas list for your husband get any easier?! I did an Amazon Wish List last year that worked out well but I was limited to what Amazon offered on their website. This year, everything is fair game! I think this will also come in handy to make Baby Smith's wish list.

Things:


Shimera Intimates: I picked up one of their bras and boyshorts at Nordstroms for our maternity photo session and was pleasantly surprised at just how comfortable and reasonably priced they are. Their line is completely seamless which is amazing! I feel more comfortable in their stuff than I do in my own skin. They have come in handy especially as the pregnancy hormones have messed up my body's temperature. (The house must be at 66 degrees at night and I sleep in my Shimera with a sheet- pretty much the only way I'm comfortable!) I definitely recommend checking them out.

Pottery Barn Classic Bed Sheets: Now these sheets are a little pricey, but worth it. If you only buy one pair of sheets for the rest of your life, choose these ones. We got them as a wedding gift and I busted them out a few weeks ago (I know only about two and a half years later!) and now I can't imagine my bed without them. They are so soft and hold up really well through washes. I'm enjoying them so much, I'm already plotting how to get a second pair because I can't bare the thought of being without them.

Blogs

Run Like a Mother: In researching postpartum running, I came across this blog with their aim being to "encourage and entertain running mothers." They feature posts from running moms across the country discussing a wide range of topics- races, gear, nutrition, and all the additional complexities that a running mother has to deal with. Some of the posts are fantastic and others not so interesting, but I think it is a great resource for moms who are runners or who want to run. Their blog hosts a lot of good information and can also steer you in the direction of other mommy blogs that may interest you. Oh and if you really enjoy the blog, they have a book too- already added to my Amazon Wish List :)

Real Mom Nutrition:
I found this blog through Run Like a Mother. It is a great resources for families and for mom's with older children. It will definitely be useful when I start packing meals for Baby Smith. (Tear! Can't he stay my baby forever?! He's not even here yet, and I already dislike the idea of him growing up so fast!) Any way it offers "news, opinions, stories & strategies to help busy moms make healthier choices for their families and themselves—without going broke or losing their sanity." The author is a registered dietitian and has contributed to magazines such as Parents, Prevention, Family Circle, Fitness, and Shape.

Here's to hoping my recommendations will save you some of your precious time, energy, and in some cases money!

No comments:

Post a Comment