Friday, September 10, 2010

No More Cake Until 2011

Ever have one of those days when you know from the moment you get out of bed that you are going to have a "bad eating" day? Mostly they are born from celebrations (aka Baby Showers) or travel plan/vacations or sometimes just the need to fall off the wagon. (Because lets face it, everyone has days that you want a burger and fries for dinner with ice cream for dessert!)


Well yesterday was one of those days for me. It started with a craving for a pumpkin spice latte which I prefer to only purchase from our local coffee shop because they are far superior to Starbucks but unfortunately it is not on my way to work. So during my commute I tried to talk myself out of the need to stop for a morning treat, but alas my craving won out over my self-control. I stopped in at Starbucks for a hot chocolate- just a tall one. Typically they ask whether or not your want whip cream but today they did not and as the barista grabbed the whip cream canister and added it to my cup- I knew my day was done! Of course she also did not neglect to add some chocolate syrup on top of that as well and I neglected to speak up because really once you have a hot chocolate with whip cream on top, a little chocolate syrup isn't going to kill you!

Then my very thoughtfull co-workers threw me a baby shower luncheon with fried chicken, mac & cheese, coleslaw, cream corn, and all the other southern picnic fixins. Not exactly my cup of tea, but again it was incredibly thoughtful and to show my appreciation, I filled up a plate and bon appetit! And lunch was followed by- you guessed it- cake! Sugary delicious white cake... and as the guest of honor again I could not refuse especially when others insist that you are eating for two (No, not really- babies only require you to eat about 300 more calories a day) and the baby really needs it (Again no, I can already feel the effects of sugar rushes on my baby in utero!) So stuffed with greasy food and fluffy cake and feeling twenty pounds heavy then when I went to lunch. I managed to walk a few laps around the parking lot in the hopes of relieving some of my fullness.

After lunch I was convinced that I would be able to have fruit and yogurt for dinner and hopefully regain some of my nutritional balance. Wrong again! My husband and I ended up going out with some friends for dinner. While I was able to revive my body somewhat with a DELICIOUS salad (arugula, strawberries, toasted almonds, and a white balsamic vinaigrette), I also had a piece of pizza which I think sent my grease threshold over the limit!

I awoke this morning feeling terrible. Whether or not the food yesterday is totally to blame, I don't know. But I do know that a day off track is not worth it! I am thinking indulgences are better in small doses.


After yesterday, I have vowed no more cake until 2011! Between the cake yesterday and the cake from our shower last weekend (which nearly half of ended up going home with us) and another shower cake last week- I have had enough cake!! Now I'll have to think of a birthday cake alternative...

No comments:

Post a Comment