Monday, September 27, 2010

Blackberry Cinnamon Rolls- from Scratch

Doesn't the adding from scratch part just make you puff your chest with pride just a little bit? Makes you feel a little more Julia Child or Paula Deen...I know I do. I make plenty of things from scratch, and it always makes me feel a little superior saying it was made from scratch as opposed to those store bought mixes. Don't get me wrong I still pick those up from time to time when I'm in a tight situation, but there is nothing quite like successfully executing a new recipe to praises from your family and friends.

Anyway I cannot take credit for this recipe in the least, I found it on this blog I follow called "Peas and Thank You." Great writing, adorable family, and great recipes so far too.

So here is link to the recipe. I made them on Sunday night, popped them in the oven Monday morning, and my husband and I will be sharing them for breakfast for the rest of the week. I made him promise to eat breakfast with me this week since I'm working from home now and he will be working late all week. Plus I am not sure how well these cinnamon rolls will travel.

Here are some tips that I have if you try to make them:
  • Warm milk does not mean room temperature. I would recommend following the directions on the yeast packet (which I did not) in regards to adding the yeast to warm milk.
  • I did not do the vegan ingredients. Instead I opted for milk, butter, and cream cheese. (I might try the vegan way in the future...)
  • I cut the butter into small slices. I found that it was easier to mix with the cinnamon and brown sugar.
  • Make sure you have an area large enough to roll out the dough. (My kitchen is pretty tiny, so rolling out dough requires me to rearrange it or risk making a HUGE mess- both of which I did!)
  • When you are rolling your dough into a log, make sure to roll it TIGHT. Mine was not quite tight enough and some of the rolls came apart a bit overnight and while they were cooking. (Didn't look great but still tasted scrumptious!)
  • I did not add the salt to my icing, only added about half of the powdered sugar, and added some more vanilla (because more vanilla extract makes everything taste better!). Icing turned out great- got compliments from my taste tester.
I was going to add a picture of mine, but it would not do her recipe justice, so if you are interested just check out the link above :)

Even if this isn't your thing, I still recommend checking out her blog. She has lots of other recipes to pick from, and I believe she has a cookbook coming out next year, so if you like her recipes be on the look out for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment