Sunday, September 19, 2010

Grab Your Umbrella- It's Shower Time

So baby showers- thinking about them months ago sent me into tears of anxiety. (I haven't been a sentimental crier during my pregnancy but have surely let the water works fly when I'm too anxious/stressed/tired or all of the above!) Every mom-to-be looks forward to her baby shower, right? Not me! I have never been one to enjoy the limelight, and always fret over whether or not I show the proper amount of excitement for each gift.

For my husband and I, it is very difficult to plan events like this because the majority of those who are near and dear to us are spread out not only across the state, but across the country as well, so any friends and family event usually involves hours of travel for others and often overnight accommodations too. So, after a few teary-eyed conversations, we decided not to have a baby shower. We did not see a point in having one if our close friends and family would not all be able to attend. This is an exciting time for us and I wanted to share it with those who truly cared about us and Baby Smith. I did not want to have a shower where I felt like I was asking people I rarely see for presents.

All of that rambling is to bring me to this- I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by wonderful, generous, caring people- some who I have known for years and others I just met in the past few weeks. Recently, Hunter and I have found ourselves as the guests of honor at not one or two but THREE surprise showers!

The first one was hosted by our next door neighbor (a retired school teacher) under the guise of inviting us over for a neighborhood brunch. SURPRISE! It was actually a baby shower for us. Some neighbors we knew, and others we were meeting for the first time, but all came bearing gifts for Baby Smith. Even better than the gifts though was the neighbors' palpable excitement for our little guy and their eagerness to volunteer to take him for walks and watch him if we need to run to the store, or go to the gym (JACKPOT!), or even if Hunter and I just need a date night. They gave us a contact list with the stipulation that we use it and not hesitate to reach out day or night. (How awesome are they?!) Also, did I mention that this same neighbor hand wrote notes to our parents inviting them to stay at her house any time they want to come visit?! That was great because we are living in a two bedroom, one bathroom house that is already bursting at the seams with the 2.5, soon to be 3 of us. Hunter and I used to joke that we live in Pleasantville, but I'm thinking it might just be true!

So the following weekend, we headed to Smith Mountain Lake for a Labor Day family get together with my husband's parents and his sister and her family. We found out shortly before we left for the lake that on Sunday there will be a family BBQ with more of the Smith side of the family - at least those who lived within an hour or so drive. And of course on Sunday after everyone arrived- SURPRISE - another baby shower, beautifully orchestrated by my sister-in-law Lauren! We were very touched by her thoughtfulness to plan this event and the time everyone took out of their holiday weekend to be with us. It was wonderful to celebrate Baby Smith with a gathering of our family all in one place.

Hunter & I with our presenter helpers at Smith Mountain Lake

Later the following week, my co-workers sent me an Outlook invitation for an "On-site Team Meeting." Little did I know - but I am sure you have guessed by now ;) - it was a Baby Shower. I can't even begin to explain how great it feels to have co-workers who truly care about you and your family and who go out of their way to show you that! I feel lucky to be surrounded by such good-hearted people. Now, if I can just remember this next time I get frustrated at work...

All of these events, not to mention the sweet cards and packages we receive from friends and family across the country, really reminded me that I am surrounded by people who care about my family and me. Even if I don't see all of them every day or even once a year, I know that they are there for me, supporting me from afar. What more can you ask for in life?

Family, friends, and community celebrate life's joys with you, and support you in your times of need. I feel like the older I get, the more I realize how heavily I rely on the people in my life. When I was a little girl, my grandpa always used to tell me "You're loved, you know." And boy do I know. And our little boy is bound to know it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment