Thursday, January 27, 2011

1,000+ Miles in 2011!?!

Some of you may have noticed the new ticker on the right hand side of my blog, so I just thought I'd let you know what I'm up to. Another mommy runner blogger (That's a mouthful!) Tall Mom On The Run, started a lifestyle challenge to her readers last year. The challenge was to complete 1,000 miles- walking, running, swimming- in hopes to promote fitness and healthy habits. The challenge was such a big hit, she decided to do it again this year. Everyone logs their miles on a shared spreadsheet that is broken down by month and also gives your grand total. (Huge kudos to her for compiling and overseeing the spreadsheet on top of working, running, and being a wife and mother!!) The spreadsheet also lists participants' blogs (great if you are looking for more runner and mommy blogs to read!), upcoming races, and space to leave your fellow runners little inspiration messages and cheers. Tall Mom also occasionally sends out challenges such as "meet" three people on the spreadsheet by reading and commenting on their blog. It is so awesome to see runners from all over the country and even a few international runners accepting this challenge and enjoying the opportunity to support other runners. It reminds me how big the running community, especially the mommy running community, really is! This challenge is another way to have some accountability as well as a network of people to cheer you on.

1,000 miles seems like a GIANT number at first, but when you break it down it is only about 2.80 miles/day. With half marathon and marathon training, I figured that number is not so daunting. I'm giving it a go and you'll be able to follow my progress with my fancy ticker. (I'm learning all sorts of new bloggy things!) I've only managed a whopping 34.6 miles for January so far (hoping to bump it up to 50 before the end of the month), but that is what the rest of the year is for, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment