Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, New Marathoner

I used to think you had to be close to certifiably insane to run a marathon. 26.2 miles! That just seems like you are looking for pain. Who in their right mind would want to put their body through that? Well now the answer is I DO!

Ever since I successfully completed a half marathon, I had been rolling the idea of a full one around in my head. As I dreamed about running during my pregnancy, I thought what better way to get back in shape and prove to myself that my body was still indeed my body. So I picked up The Competitive Runner's Handbook (a gift from my cousin and fellow runner) and started leafing through the chapters. I stumbled upon one called "The First-Time Marathoner" and it clearly echoed my drive behind why I want to run a marathon.
"As the longest of mainstream running events, its the ultimate test of fitness and courage. The marathon is larger than life, having profound impact on all those who successfully meet its rigorous training and racing demands. Finishing a marathon proves you can set a lofty goal and achieve it. It gives you the confidence to take risks and make important changes in other aspects of your life."
I am so excited but at the same time completely terrified of failure. I'm three days in to the new year and I already feel the weight of my new resolution. I have been second guessing myself. Am I going to have the time to train to run a marathon? I can barely keep my house in one piece or make dinner while taking care of my son and this is when I'm not working (Please tell me this gets easier!!)... I will admit that I am having doubts, but I have already signed up so now I just need to do the best I can. I have to accept that there will be easy days and there will be hard ones, but I need to accept my challenge and move forward. Nothing great ever comes without hard work and sacrifice right?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you can so do it! You'll be FABULOUS. It was challenging making the time with family and everything but when there's a will there's a way. ;)

    Are you training with a group or anyone else? That was REALLY helpful for me. Looking forward to cheering you on!

    Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

    ReplyDelete