Thursday, January 6, 2011

Week Eight Check In: And So It Begins

Half-marathon training began this week! I'm running the Virginia Beach Shamrock Anthem Half Marathon on March 20th. I was hoping to begin training in December, but with my relaxin set back and to follow through with my promise to myself and my husband that I'm going to be safe, running just wasn't in the cards.

My strategy for my first half marathon (Richmond McDonald's Half Marathon - does that just seem like an oxymoron!) was to just tack on a little extra mileage each run and work my way up to 13.1 miles. I only seriously trained for about six weeks and was most likely pushing myself too far too fast. After the race, I ended up with some serious back pain that had me laid up on the couch taking muscle relaxers for about a week and I was out of commission as far as running goes for at least a month. All in all it was probably not the best planned or executed training regimen.

For this one, I pulled out my handy Competitive Runner's Handbook and am going to follow a modified version of their half-marathon training plan. Their plan is set up so that you run five days a week, with two days off, and I just don't think at this point I can get out three EARLY mornings or evenings during the week without my poor husband saying "UNCLE!" Plus my time with my husband and baby in the evenings is too precious, especially those evenings when Hunter and I might even get to relax, watch a movie, or possibly (on a rare night) have the energy for a grown-up conversation. So for the time being at least, I am modifying it to save my sanity and enjoy my family.

I was able to run THREE, yes count them- one, two, THREE- miles on Tuesday with zero knee pain. I was even able to run them at a 10:40/mile pace which made me one happy mama! Today I ran 3.5 miles at a 10:50/mile pace. It is an awesome feeling to be getting my strength back and start feeling more like my old self.

I weighted in this week at 119 pounds. While I only have four more pounds to go until I reach my pre-pregnancy weight, my body feels different and my clothes definitely do not fit the same. I'm not sure if your body ever completely goes back, but I guess I'll find out. Here are this week's pictures:

Still working on my stomach- Tracy Anderson's Post Pregnancy DVD has been AMAZING!!!

I have my first LONG run on Saturday. Here's to hoping that goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment